Saturday 11 August 2012

Saturday Lessons: Lainey

I hopped on Lainey first this morning for a jumping lesson. I can honestly say I've never seen her so enthusiastic about anything! She just wanted to be let at those jumps. Needless to say, we spent a good portion of the lesson getting her to stop rushing and get round and relaxed over trot poles. She wanted to canter even those, silly girl. We jumped a short 2'6" course a couple of times as a reward and called it a day. It was a lot of fun, but pretty humbling to realize in the course of 4 or 5 rides my horse has far surpassed me as far as confidence goes. Confidence is not an issue for her as it is for me - I feel a little overwhelmed and in typical Lainey fashion she's like "Its OK, I've got this, I know how to do this - just hang on!"
Apparently on Wednesday the girl riding her in lessons took her over a full 2'9" course and she was amazing, fitting right in with the seasoned hunters. Where did this jumping monster come from? It's been in there all along, we've just never been lucky enough to have regular instruction.
The downside of all of this is the girl borrowing her has inquired about buying her, since her current horse is getting older and they'd like to retire her. Why am I getting deja vu? Oh that's right, because this happened about two months ago with another girl. I guess I should be flattered that both times she's been borrowed for a lesson the rider falls in love with her. I'm still unsure about it, but realistically it's the smart thing to do, both for Lainey and my finances. And there is no shortage of horses I can ride if Ginger doesn't keep me busy enough. Rough day at the office, though, it's a tough decision either way and in my heart I'd like to keep them all.

Ginger, of course, is going nowhere besides home with me. Her lesson today will be the subject of my next post.

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig