Sunday 17 November 2013

Found a Great Place to Board

Via a friend of a friend of a friend on facebook, of course. 

I've been having a bit of a meltdown over the past few days - the ferry terminal that connects our town to Vancouver Island is apparently going to be out of service for January-March. It's not a huge deal for most because the Vancouver route is still running and there's going to be an alternate route to the island as well. BUT, for horse haulers? Apparently a big deal because they like to do a sort of circular route that involves the ferry to the island. Does the ferry company not know that I'm expecting very important cargo right around then? :) Combine that with the fact I'd really rather not use the hauler that took Ginger last time and suddenly my choices are super, super limited.

And then boarding? As I've mentioned, I'm sure more than once, choices are again super, super limited. Again, I didn't want to use the barn I went to last time, for crazy barn drama reasons we don't need to discuss on a public blog. I really like the owner, let's just leave it at that. But, she's the only show in town. The other decent barn is wait listed for literally years.

I was getting ready to tear my hair out and never attempt to own a horse again ( only half-joking here, sadly).

Can I just say now that I really do know some of the greatest people? I had emailed the hay supplier to pre order Ginger's winter supply, and she asked if I was looking for boarding as well when I came back. Why yes, I am! Turns out the place across the road from her where they store the hay was considering taking on boarders. She gave me a great reference and just like that, I had a really good boarding option. Then, the same day, the lady who is looking after Ginger saw an ad for a hauler with my town on the route. Turns out it's the guy that brought Ginger to Alberta for me branching out on his own with a new company! I had thought he was out of business, but I'm very pleasantly surprised. We're just ironing out all the final details so I don't know if Ginger will be home with me at xmas, but he is a good hauler and he's willing to make the trip so I'm happy.

As far as the boarding, they can take Ginger any time. They have a gorgeous barn with new stalls and attached paddocks. Best part of all - 12 acres of pasture for Ginger to share with only 2 other horses. I've got serious real estate envy. There is no ring on site, but I have friends within about a 5 minute ride in either direction that have rings on their properties, so it's not too big of a deal. I'm apprehensive that it's full board ( non working horse lovers can't have a huge budger!) but I'm hoping my hours at the therapeutic riding barn will help cover the extra.

This is starting to feel like it's really happening!
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. I am so glad to read this post! That barn, and the deal with the shipper, sounds incredible. I am so happy for you! Can't wait for more Welsh Cob posts in the future!

    ReplyDelete

BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig