Saturday 5 July 2014

I Dislike Shopping

I thought I might keep the horse shopping a little on the down low, but seeing as I now have three horses to look at over the next week it's getting a little too serious to keep all to myself!

Backstory: Ginger is not going anywhere! She's a lovely, lovely girl but very hot, sensitive, and athletic. That's a big part of what makes her fun and what makes everyone get excited about her dressage potential, but I've been having confidence issues. I'm looking for just the right second horse to have fun with while we continue to progress with Ginger...kind of like I'm doing at the lesson barn now, but with Ginger rides too.

I know this should be exciting and fun, but it's feeling more than a little intimidating. True story - I've never actually gone out and intentionally shopped for a horse. They've always just sort of happened! I'm finding the whole process of looking through ads, trying to ask the right questions, and setting up appointments quite stressful. I have this big complex about possibly being too picky and therefore wasting people's time. Also, I'm finding lots of people don't return calls or give you really vague answers or try to pressure you into something you don't want. Then again, I've talked to some really nice and professional people so it's not all bad.

I've got past my introvert ways, and have made appointments to see the following ponies. All are Welsh D mares, all between 14.1-14.2hh. Ages and experience vary, but all are advertised as safe and sensible rides.

Looking at this girl next weekend. 10 year old.
Another Sec D for next weekend.
Tomorrow's candidate - gorgeous but may be greener than ideal.
This girl may also be an option to go see, and I think is the daughter of the buckskin above.
 I keep getting overwhelmed and deciding I'm just not going to bother with it and will just trail ride Ginger until we're both old and grey, then I have a great lesson and get excited to compete and do all the fun things and start looking again. I'm making an effort now to get out there to look at more horses because time is running low here - if I was going to shop, the variety here means this would be the place and time to do it.

There are other horses I'm interested in seeing, but let's be honest, that's if the cobs don't work out :)



SHARE:

11 comments

  1. Very exciting! I envy you horse shopping, but at the same time I can see how it would be overwhelming and a bit stressful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so much more stressful than I ever imagined! Then I end up feeling guilty for not enjoying it, which only makes it worse lol

      Delete
  2. I agree that horse shopping can be a nervous time!! I always want to make sure I make the right decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's exactly it! I'm putting so much pressure on myself not to make any mistakes and find the perfect horse, that the fun is getting sucked out of it a bit.

      Delete
  3. Try to enjoy the process! I know it's hard but it is kind of a special thing to be shopping for a new riding buddy. I bought both of my young horses sight unseen and although I don't regret that at all...I am a little sad I missed out on the horse shopping experience. I'm excited to hear how it all went :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This morning I'm starting to wrap my head around it a little more and am just feeling excited to go see the horses :))

      Delete
  4. So exciting! I hope you enjoy the process and find a great pony! :) I love horse shopping but it's definitely hard and confusing at times! I love the second and fourth - ooh la la!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The second one is actually the one that I think will be the closest to what I'm looking for so I'm driving a ridiculously long way to see her. The first is one I've ridden before, and the fourth is a total wildcard, but yes, so pretty! :)

      Delete
  5. Best of luck trying all those gorgeous girls & trying to find your perfect partner & counterbalance to the lovely Ginger.
    I have a fiery lady & a quieter younger model to balance the nutjob out from time to time - although the older fiery lady is hopefully *finally* mellowing with age...about time really - she is 10!
    Double Digits :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Exactly what I'm hoping for...a quieter model to balance the fiery lady :)

      Delete
  6. My advice is to just go out and see them... I think you'll get a good feel for them pretty quickly!!

    ReplyDelete

BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig