Saturday 16 May 2015

Hot Streak

Midge's little hot streak continues. She was very up and very spooky yet again last night, which under normal circumstances I'd be worried and unhappy about. With Bridget though, you just get the feeling it's all in good fun and nothing's going to go beyond anything I can't handle. When we make it to the ring, her extra energy actually seems to be working in my favor. She's more than happy to funnel it into work!
No G to take photos again so you're stuck with my pre ride shots of the shiny pony


You're probably sick of hearing how well she's doing, but last night's ride was another stand out one. I'm still a bit surprised by the athleticism and work ethic hiding inside my 'lazy' and 'plain' pony. I took away all our poles and jumps with the plan of really focusing on my riding and our flat work. She was soft and responsive and just genuinely there to work. The canter to the left was the best yet, and felt somewhat adjustable and 'easy' for the first time. The right is still her tougher side and it's much more of a rider workout keeping her somewhat balanced. A+ for effort on her part though, so I went back to trot and played with getting 'big' and 'little' trots, focusing on making the 'little' trot ever so slightly collected and the 'big' one larger up and down than simply faster. We did a bunch of transitions, working on keeping her round and soft throughout - she's really getting the idea.

I'm feeling like pony is as far along as I could bring her on my own. Yes, I can play with the canter some more, but we're at the point where I definitely need regular lessons and a plan in place if I'm going to school her on my own and expect to advance further. S had better be ready for a bunch of questions and some post lesson homework this weekend!
SHARE:

11 comments

  1. It sounds like things are really coming together for you two, and knowing when it's time for extra help is always great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a bit of an adventure, but I think we're on a good path now!

      Delete
  2. Holy shiny pony batman! She looks amazing. I'm so happy for you that things are going so well. Thats so exciting that you feel like you can start to plan more lessons :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I'm super excited to take some lessons with 'serious' eventing coach. I feel like we're ready!

      Delete
  3. sooooo shiny!!! and i never get tired of hearing how well she's doing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think cobs like her are plain or lazy. They are just true hard workers, they thrive on it. She is becoming a swan :) ps super shiny so pretty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree...I've always said she's super underrated, she's a very nice cob! I think the problem is just everyone looks at her at compares her to Ginger, who is quite eye catching in real life and of course very high energy and attention getting, but honestly not a good example of a proper Sec D.

      Delete
  5. Please send some of that work ethic Apollo's way haha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea where Bridget's even came from...if I figure it out I will send some to Apollo :)

      Delete
  6. Wow! Your ponies are super shiny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of those transitions within and between gaits are so great for building muscle, stamina and ensuring that the horse is really in-tune with your aids. I need to do more of that myself!

    ReplyDelete

BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig