1. Mares or Geldings? Why?
Mares. I never make a conscious decision to own one or the other, but I seem to end up with mares!
2. Green-broke or Fully Broke?
I've only ever had green. I like it because I know the history and can build a great relationship. I'd never rule out buying something experienced though if my budget ever allowed!
3. Would you own a "hotter" breed (ie. Arabian, Trakhener, etc).
Depends. If 'hot' = forward and hard worker, then yes. If 'hot' = needing to be worked every day and needing 100% focus, then no, that doesn't fit my lifestyle.
4. What was your "dream horse" growing up?
Probably a solid black thoroughbred type.
5. What kind of bit(s) do you use and why?
Ginger has a loose ring french link because she likes it. Bridget has a plain D ring snaffle because that's what the tack store had in her size, and it seems to work for her!
6. Helmets or no helmets?
Helmets every time!
|Nope, no color preferences shown here.|
Bay with chrome (obviously lol), but I do like a nice coppery chestnut. Huge sucker for a blaze!
8. Least favorite horse color?
Paints with white faces. No real reason for it, and wouldn't stop me from owning one though.
9. Dressage or Jumping?
I like both.
10. How many years have you been riding?
Way too many for my level of (non) expertise.
11. Spurs/whip or no spurs/whip?
Sometimes both, sometimes neither. Depends on the horse and how they're feeling.
12. Your first fall?
Playing tag bareback in the backwoods on a bouncy pony about a week into learning to ride. Also my second through probably tenth fall, all in the same ride. I really had no fear back then!
13. When was the last time you rode and what did you do?
Last night - dressage lesson. Tons of transitions!
14. Most expensive piece of tack you own?
My (stubben) saddle, which isn't saying much - although I got it new, I got it on a super clearance sale back when the canadian dollar was doing better than the american one.
15. How old were you when you started riding?
11. The deal was I had to wait to be old enough to work somewhat unsupervised in exchange for the privilege.
16. Leather or Nylon halters?
Either. Current barn the lesson kids tend to mix halters up, so cheap nylon. At home they live in leather ones because they're prettier :)
17. Leather or Synthetic saddles?
Leather! Although synthetic may be in my future, my love of animals has me seriously re considering buying leather things.
18. What "grip" of reins do you like?
Laced. Bridget is fairly heavy in the contact and I hate gloves, so everything else with any kind of grip shreds my fingers.
19. English or Western?
Prefer english, but can be seen in a western saddle now and then on the trails. Sometimes in an english bridle and western saddle at the same time. I have no pride :)
20. How many horses do you currently own/lease?
I own two.
|Full board with great turnout = the best|
I've done all of the above, but currently full board is suiting my lifestyle
22. Have you ever had to put down a horse that you loved?
Yes, but it's been a very long time (and fingers crossed never again).
23. How many saddlepads do you have?
Rather than counting, it's easier to say the stack in the corner of our basement is about 5' high.
24. Slant-load trailer or straight haul?
Angle haul. Owning smaller horses, I like being able to turn them around and lead them out head first.
25. Why do you ride?
I've just always loved riding and animals, particularly horses. Also, my mind is always going a mile a minute - horses are the only thing that make me focus, live in the moment and enjoy it.