Tuesday 11 October 2016

Small Updates

Last week, I took EC's advice and really asked for MORE from my adorable, but rotten, pony. I had my doubts on Day 1, since I was met with a ton of resistance and tantrums. I have zero issues disciplining the pony for things that are dangerous or willfully 'bad', but there's a huge grey area that honestly keeps me up at night sometimes wondering if I'm doing it right. my comfort zone is really 'Good Cop' and I like to be quite encouraging and patient...too much so, apparently! Last week, Midge was sticky moving her hindquarters to the left. Not bad, but certainly less responsive than what I'd like.
Bridget tantrums: dramatic reinactment. Actually, just a pic that amuses me because Ginger is like "WTH Bridget!?"

If you remember, EC's advice was to go with my gut and not be so nice, so I did, feeling that Bridget was giving me the bare minimum and was capable of more. I was really disciplined about my expectations for the pony. We've schooled this before, you know how to do this, and you're athletic enough to make it happen NOW. It was hard for me to be so uncompromising and not start second guessing myself or my riding! As mentioned, Day 1 of that was not super productive...a lot of tantrums for a result less than what I'd hoped for. But, after sleeping on it overnight, Midge came out the following day and was still a bit disgruntled, but oh my, those leg yields and haunches in were absolutely amazing! So, moving forward, picking the fight might be a good thing, no matter how painful it is in the moment.

Currently, I'm feeling like we're in a weird spot training wise, so I'm happy to put any shows on hold, maybe even until the new year. I'm good with all the things we've accomplished show wise this year. I also feel like I want to take a time out from the stress both mentally and financially, and spend the saved $ on clinics and lessons (ok, and also a few things on my wish list!)
maybe there will be more trail riding happy ears in our immediate future
This weekend, I moved up to our house further up the coast for a long weekend of Netflix and good food. G and I are both feeling under the weather so it was nice to have a weekend with nothing to do, although as always I miss the horses. I should note, I pitched the whole Ginger as a broodmare thing to G and he is actually more motivated than me to discuss options further. Our long term plan is to buy a farm up there, so I guess G is already planning for the future inhabitants :) It's surprising that I seem to be the only one with reservations about this. If only there was a guarantee that a perfect Cardi baby would pop out next spring with minimal stress, then I'd be on board for sure!

In sad news, I returned to the lower coast this morning and found the barn has been reconfigured for winter. I know a lot of us deal with minimal paddock space and turn out for a few months every year, but I always feel pretty down about it when the monsoons return and it's time for everyone to come in. Bridget and Ginger in particular really seem to enjoy having space to run and play.
Another image from the vault, back when they had a big pasture to play in. (and eat, apparently, B looks rather chunky!)

Lesson night is tomorrow night... due to me being sick and/or away it's been 10 days since the last one and I'm excited!
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. Ugh winter is definitely coming! Exciting that you made such progress schooling tho, hopefully it pays off in the lesson!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time is going by ridiculously fast at the moment!

      Delete
  2. Good for you for working on the plan. I love the tantrum photo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's stupid hard for me to trust the plan sometimes :)

      Delete
  3. I love the photos! I also love how you explained about picking your battles, this is definitely something i need to try and do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to be much more consistent about picking my battles, I do let the pony get away with a lot more than I should

      Delete
  4. Winter is coming! And yay for stepping up and getting more out of your pony (and oh so exciting for G to be a mom maybe) Hope you feel better

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so on the Cardi train..so fun!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured you'd be an enabler for that plan :)

      Delete
  6. It's interesting because with how similar Midge and Katai are I'm sort of the opposite from you and tend to pick fights too easily. Jane has been really great for getting me to be more of a cheerleader for Katai and it's making a huge difference :-) We all have our things right!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, I am totally the good cop too. I really want my horses to like me, and sometimes it's more important that they respect me... which is soooo hard for me. I am on the Cardi train too :)

    ReplyDelete

BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig