Tuesday 18 April 2017

Nothing To See Here

I took a 4 day time out over the long weekend, and did absolutely nothing. It was amazing, and much needed!

My lounging and accompanying Netflix marathon were interrupted with an email from the barn - the schedule for our upcoming XC clinic weekend. Cool - except one small problem. WHY WAS I LISTED AS TAKING A TRAILER AND DRIVING HORSES? Cue panic, because the last time I trailered anything was about 10 years ago in a previous work life and there were no live animals involved. I had offered the use of my truck, but never offered to drive, surely this was a misunderstanding?
Random pics from last year's clinic

"It's OK, we'll give you and Barnmate A a Trailering 101 recap and you can help each other. It will be fine, we're all going in a convoy and we'll all help!"

I actually would have been OK with this if it was a local haul, but it's not. I get that with the entire barn (12 or so of 'our' horses plus a few more who normally trailer in to our barn for lessons)going we're running low on trailer space and drivers. I like to help out. I have a truck. BUT, it's a ferry ride, driving through the city, and then navigating many miles of mountain highway. About a 6 hour journey.

I knew I COULD technically do it, but the idea was keeping me up at night - I really, really would prefer to ease back into things in a less challenging way. Barnmate A is awesome, but this would be her first non local haul as well. I'm sure we could get it done together, but I just didn't feel that great about it.
Ginger and Bridget being bookends

I didn't mention my worries to G and tried to portray confidence. He was scheduled to work this weekend and I didn't want him worrying about me.  So, you can imagine how happy I was when he traded shifts without asking so that he could come along and drive with us. Most Supportive Partner Ever, Partner Least Trusting in Spouse's Driving Abilities, or Partner Most Concerned About Spouse Trashing The Truck? We'll go with the first option:) I'm still a little worried, but feeling much more confident knowing G can drive if needed.

So, on that note, let's add to my 2017 goals... to confidently drive the small trailer through the city!

T Minus 44 hours until departure!
Our reward will hopefully be sunshine and lots of fun!
SHARE:

22 comments

  1. What an awesome partner! I hope you have a fabulous time at the clinic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie does the same thing for me a lot of times - it really does ease the mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that G already knows what a crappy driver I am, so really there's no pressure there lol

      Delete
  3. I love having someone else in the truck with me that has more experience even if they never get behind the wheel. Hopefully the journey is event free!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely chickened out at first and made G drive. Best husband :)

      Delete
  4. Good for you taking a couple days off, sounds wonderful!! But yea I feel ya on the trailer anxiety. That's a totally reasonable way to feel, it's a big drive. You can totally do it tho. It might kinda suck. But you can do it. The highway driving might surprise you by how quickly it settles into a "normal" trip. And I'm sure there will be ppl on the ferry to help squeeze you into place!!! Yay for having G and A along too tho - that helps!! (And snacks and good music or audio books!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't lie. It sucked. But I think I'll be able to do shorter trips by myself now with minimal stress!

      Delete
  5. G rocks! Also those days off sound heavenly :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awesome that G is able to go with and help out if needed but I'm sure you've got this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I needed G and the moral support lol. But we got it done!

      Delete
  7. Safe travels and best of luck at the xc clinic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I"m glad that you had a good weekend. YOu can do the trailer thing and yes, most supportive partner ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did some of it. And I still don't feel super confident. But yeah, not nearly as hard as I thought lol

      Delete
  9. Husband of the year!! Mine used to do that a lot for me when I first started hauling - just be there with me on longer drives to make sure I didn't kill anyone. You've got this!! And after you've done it, you will feel SO badass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best husbands! Just having someone there for support makes all the difference

      Delete
  10. How did it go??

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh gosh I have my first trailer trip scheduled and I've never driven before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll do great! My biggest advice would be to hook up ahead of time and get confident with that. I spent far too long checking the mirrors, all paranoid I forgot to connect something or left something unlocked. Mostly, just drive like a grandma... slow acceleration, no rushing or quick turns/braking. If I can do it, anyone can :)

      Delete

BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig