Tuesday 27 March 2012

About Us! Part 3- Me.

I was the typical horse crazy kid trapped in a suburban lifestyle with parents who were sure I'd grow out of it. 25 years later, my parents are still waiting. I'm starting to suspect the horses are here to stay, but what do I know?

When I was about 10 I was smart enough to take matters into my own hands. I got a job at a riding stable in exchange for the use of a pony on the weekends. This was no small feat in a small town on the Pacific coast of BC -horses and the property they require are few and far between. I'm not sure what the child labour laws were like then, but it may have been a good thing no one paid attention :) And it may have also been a very good thing my parents were completely ignorant of what I was doing all day.
I'll save the stories for later but suffice to say a lot of fun was had and a lot of lessons were learned the hard way.
Eventually, I had to face the real world and go to college and get a job. Horses took a back seat for a few years, until once again I took matters into my own hands and bought myself a horse. My boyfriend was unimpressed with my initiative, and shortly thereafter became my ex-boyfriend. I bought a house with space for a horse or two and settled down for the long haul. And lived happily ever after.

No, not really. I got bored. And quit my job. And went back to school. And met someone new. And finally, last year, got a new job 1600km from my hometown so I can have that career I always wanted. I brought Lainey with me, because she is awesome like that. Unfortunately, my "someone new" (who is by now, not at all new) is still working on the coast while we figure out just what it is I'm doing! I tried to lure him on the trailer with Lainey but it didn't work and I had to buy Ginger instead to fill the space. Can't blame him though, he's been at his job for about a million years and is all responsible about pensions and savings and such. He's also absolutely amazing. He's the nice guy best friend you would have passed over in high school for the totally inappropriate party guy with the motorbike. Can't wait for Mr. Nice Guy to finalize things and get out here!
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig