Saturday 25 January 2014

When You Sell...

(And NO, not a post about Ginger - I'm not selling Ginger!)

How long do you feel responsible for a horse's well being? I found out this morning that a horse I owned and sold many years ago ended up going from the home I sold her to, to a possibly not-so-great situation just a few months ago. Truth or no, just the thought of it makes me feel queasy. I'm going to find ex - horse help if she needs it.  (Sorry for the vagueness, but as this is all rumor I'm keeping this post deliberately generic with no names or descriptions. She's just a good girl who deserves a most excellent retirement, as they all do.)

So, all I can think about tonight is ex - horse and whether she is ok. I have many friends that sell horses to great homes and just don't worry about it beyond that. Other friends keep their horses for life because they want to be sure their horse always has good care. I've been more middle of the road and sell if the situation warrants it and I find a great match, but I do like to keep tabs on my old horses whereabouts. The gossip today partly made me wish I was one of those people who just keeps them all, no matter how unrealistic that would have been for me at the time.

What about you? Are your horses with you for life, or have you bought and sold a few as your (and your horses) needs change? Have you ever stepped in and taken an old horse back/found them a safe place to land?


This photo has nothing to do with horses. The beach was quite foggy and peaceful this afternoon. Zen is good before bed :)


SHARE:

7 comments

  1. Speaking for me personally, when I do purchase a horse I am expecting it to be "for life" but I certainly understand that this is not always possible or practical. If I did have to sell, I think I would always try to keep tabs on its whereabouts -- as you have done. I think this even applies to lease horses. For example, if I were to find out that my current lease horse had ended up in a bad situation once I am no longer leasing her, I would step in if I could to help. I hope the gossip is untrue and your former horse is doing OK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reply. I'm heading out for a visit to former horse mid week. Also hoping the rumor is untrue.

      Delete
  2. Hi - new reader here.

    I'm from the "for life" camp too. Hoping that if the situation arises, I'll be able to afford an excellent retirement farm I know of. Sometimes selling them on leads to bad situations - I couldn't risk it. There would have to at least be a right of first refusal clause in the selling contract...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya! Sadly, I did have a first refusal clause in the contract (although this is 10 plus years ago - but apparently I'm still on the papers as owner) AND another person closely tied to the horse in question (long term leaser) would have given her a lifetime home if needed. It's all really odd - sounds like the owner just really wanted to give the horse to their friend, so tried to be 'sneaky' about it and not tell anyone, then when friend didn't work out and left horse in less than stellar condition, owner moved horse to a third party's property on the quiet rather than admit the mistake. Makes me lose a lot of faith in people. Good news is I know the third party and can go for a visit :)

      Delete
  3. Honestly I think if you're going to sell a horse it's really best to have the "out of site out of mind" philosophy. That's super pessimistic, but really you should only let them go if you're comfortable with the possibility that they may end up in less than ideal situations because once you sell you can't control that anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always trying to keep tabs on horses I have sold, most are in great homes, one got sold again at auction and last I heard he went to a good home but I am still looking for his whereabouts. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For a while after HS I worked for a horse flipper. Even though none of those horses were ever mine, I still got attached to them, and worried about where they ended up. A couple of them actually showed up on my local CL this past summer when I was horse shopping and I had a hard time not going over and scooping them up. So, I know the feeling, and I had even a less of a relationship than you do. Hope everything turns out well!

    ReplyDelete

BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig