Sunday 4 January 2015

Just Not That Into It

I woke up tired this morning, it was freezing cold, there was a miscommunication about the time and I ended up waiting an hour for my lesson. Long story short, I was a little overtired, cold, and grouchy and just not that into riding.

As ponies often do, Midge read my mind and was like "Oh YEAH? You think YOU'RE grouchy? You think you're unmotivated? Watch me!" And so the lesson I'd rather forget began.
I was too lazy to take pics today, so you get a re run picture of Bridget being lazy

Thank goodness she's adorable, that's all I can say. We had no forward at all, we had no left bend at all. We had bucking, we had spooking, we had head tossing and shaking. We had a pony who is seemingly immune to even a sharp tap with the crop. Hmmm. Sometimes it's just best to move on, so today we opted to finish early and go for a quick hack. It still wasn't about giving up. A change of scenery and a mental reset was just in order for both of us. Pony still had to trot and canter up our big hills and was still disgusted with the program. But we ended on a happier note and that's all you can ask for some days. Any time in the saddle is good time, right?

I'd be lying if I said I'm not feeling discouraged by her ungenerous and testing attitude, but as with all things horsey it's a two way street and I obviously need to up my game and bring a more motivated and positive attitude myself before I honestly expect better from her.

Even on her worst behaviour, I'm appreciative that she's safe and sane to hack out on her own, she wasn't worried about waiting around to start our ride, and she certainly doesn't have a mean bone in her body. Just several smart and unmotivated ones that are quite adept at taking advantage of her rider :) Fingers crossed my next ride is a little more productive - I don't know about you, but behind the leg and 'stuck;' is NOT my happy place. Today, I'm also very happy I own Bridget's opposite in the ever so forward and sensitive Ginger - they really are a very complimentary pair :)

SHARE:

10 comments

  1. Sorry to hear that the lesson didn't go quite as well as you'd have liked. Am i weird in that I secretly love when things go to pot in a lesson cos the trainers can see the bag of tricks the jekyll & Hyde creatures can pull out when uninterested. Hopefully your trainer could give you some tips and tricks to work on to install a reset button. Although a hack to blow out the cobwebs and reset horsey & human mind sounds even more refreshing.
    *thumbsup* keep up the fab work & always remember when working with young and especially smart horses; for every step we take forward expect a step back before going forward again. The brainy ones can be the most troublesome but are so worth it in the end ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trainer actually got on and rode for a bit and just had to laugh as well - Bridget was in a very contrary mood and it was actually a bit funny. Mares! :) Excellent reminder, I like to think I do remember that she's still young and there will be many steps back at times, but I am still guilty of going in with expectations and being disappointed when I really should leave the emotions out of the picture !

      Delete
  2. Ha, I wasn't into riding today either (so cold!! so much rain!!) and my ride went similarly with a huge and totally uncalled for spook/scoot from Be B. I do hate how our horses can "catch" our bad moods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are mind readers, which is so cool some days, but other days it's a bit of a curse!

      Delete
  3. Must be the day of awful rides. My small bay cob was not leaving her friends. Not going forward. Until we headed for home. Then she was all perky. I think I need a riding buddy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small bay cob mares unite! Perhaps they've been plotting behind our backs :) Hope your next ride goes better!

      Delete
  4. This is probably going to be like my ride tonight. The picture you posted matches my mood exactly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Us humans seriously need to consider a mandatory hibernation month, (or even week) every January ;)

      Delete
  5. sorry it wasn't a very inspiring ride!! but again, i love your attitude and perspective of looking forward and moving on! based on other comments (and my own weekend lesson that included falling, boo) - it sounds like there are quite a few bloggers looking to move on from this past weekend lol. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hope your next ride is super excellent to make up for this weekend's adventures :)

      Delete

BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig