Also, it's proving hard for her rider, although I'm not so vocal about it! I'm used to either riding greenies with a direct rein, or else more "made" horses where my hands stay relatively still in front of me. This grey area where pony is not quite solid on the outside rein is difficult for me. I need to resist "helping" her with my inside rein (more like letting her hang on it!) and be much more ambitious about using my outside rein to block her shoulder when she inevitably drifts out. Don't get me wrong, I do ask, but not firmly enough! It looks better than it feels, which is a good thing. The pictures represent how I think it feels - counter bent and leading through the outside shoulder, but are actually random photos from a few days ago.
All in all, a lot to work on! It was a good lesson, but I think we were both a little frustrated and will enjoy some relaxed hacking this weekend as a reward for our efforts.
My first week of work at the new job starts Monday, so my next lesson isn't until next weekend. I'm hopeful S will find the time to ride mid week and keep Bridget somewhat fit. I hope to move her as soon as I find decent boarding, but I'm not getting a lot of leads and am going to do my best to be patient! Best to wait for a good long term place than make compromises, even if it means missing part of the show season.
Yep, she rolled her sweaty self right in the manure pile when we got home. Nasty mares ;)