Tuesday, 13 September 2016

Mare Days

My ride last night was awful. At least we're keepin' it real over in this part of the forest!

Remember how I was all like "ohhh remember when Bridget used to argue so much about moving forward she'd smash into the area walls?" OK, it's not funny anymore, because after months and months of good behavior it's apparently back on her to do list.

The root of the issue, is of course the forward button. It was broken last night, but not in the usual fixable way, if that makes sense. Normally if she's a little sluggish we have a reminder about being honest off my leg, and we're good to go. Last night, this approach only solved the problem for what felt like 5-10 seconds before we needed another talking to. Repeat, repeat again. And again..and basically for forever.

With a faulty go button, the wiggly, crooked pony makes her appearance. Last night was just one of those nights...we could have forward but not bend or collection, we could have bend or collection but not forward. Don't get me wrong, there were still lots of moments of of amazing, awesome work...but I've been spoiled lately and expect more than that!!
Energy level somewhere around here. I know I've reused this pic a million times, but it's indicative of 99% of Midge's daily attitude towards life. (The other 1% is super angry ;)

The issue was likely twofold...the weather has warmed up again so she just felt tired, and we've also increased the amount of collection we're asking for. Pony says that's hard work and sucking back, wiggling, getting her head above the bridle, running away, etc etc all might be easier options. Long term readers will know this is pretty standard Bridget protocol...she's a pony mare and if she thinks something is hard or doesn't see the point in it, obviously she needs to voice her displeasure in every way she can think of! The only problem with this plan is of course that we persist until we see a tiny bit of progress and she ends up working harder than she would have if she just tried to cooperate from the start.

Prior to the lesson starting, EC and I were discussing training rides in my absence next week, and decided they likely weren't needed. However, Bridget apparently had other ideas last night, so the training rides have been rebooked!
Dramatic reenactment. 

We finished with a short trail ride. Even on the frustrating days we like to have a little fun...this time in the form of a 'go forward or else' gallop up the hill (evil laugh). Luckily, Midge is easily fooled and galloping on the trail is not nearly as impossible as moving forward in the arena. Magic, I tell you :)


12 comments:

  1. Oh Midge... The hill gallops sound fun tho ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the neighbours must think we're crazy, racing up that hill all the time :)

      Delete
  2. Bahahaha. Love the drill sergeant picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boot camp, all next week...EC is at least that intimidating when she wants to be ;)

      Delete
  3. How is the trail always the magical cure for bad ponies?! Dino would do this to me ALL THE TIME. Throw a total fit in the ring, bucking, foot-planting, HORRIBLE, and then take him outside and he's a total angel. BAD PONIES!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? The trail is some kind of magical unicorn land or something

      Delete
  4. I think that Katai and Bridget must have some sort of communication because this is EXACTLY what Katai was pulling at my lesson yesterday! It's crazy how they always seem like they're on the same page

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were either separated at birth, or they are psychically linked. I feel like if they ever met the world would explode or something ;)

      Delete
    2. Um, imagine Bridget, Katai, and Dino in the same place... It would be the end of times.

      Delete
    3. Good point Alli! It would either be the end of the world or the cutest thing ever.

      Not sure I'm willing to risk it...

      Delete
  5. Oh pony! Those training rides will be good for her ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, now "Aunty EC" is going to have to have a chat with her lol

      Delete