This coming weekend, G and I are going to look at some small acreages in my hometown. Nothing we're sure of, except the price and the land seems right, and that long term I'd like a larger place to keep the horses. I'm happy where they are boarded currently, and happy enough to keep working here to fund all the lessons and shows and horsey things, but obviously this isn't forever. At the end of the day, I'll be moving back home full time and it would be wonderful to have a nice spot for the horses built into that. Wish us luck...or don't...we've been casually looking for over 5 years so we might be very fussy :)
In other news, I bought a saddle. It's a County Pro-Fit (I'm told it was on a Stabilizer tree, but with a slightly deeper seat). It's about 15 years old, in excellent shape, and an XW tree. I'm crossing everything it fits us like it's expected to. I feel good about this one because our saddle fitter is a County rep and had suggested it, also because our dressage saddle is an XW tree County as well and it works perfectly.
|Not mine, but it looks identical to the one being sent.|
In related news, my show budget is shot. So no Topline event for us. Campbell Valley will be our 'big' outing and that's not until August. I feel like I started the season well, with the MREC 2 Phase quickly followed by the HTBC eventing clinic, but then the following 2 events I had planned on attending were cancelled due to the weather, and now Topline is out. So, August it is!
In news related to that, I discussed my priorities with my coach and have opted to focus more on dressage for at least the immediate future. I simply don't have enough hours in the day to keep B eventing fit, nor do I have the time and finances to do all the events and XC schooling in addition to the dressage stuff I want to do,
We're going to continue with bi-weekly jump lessons, and our Friday night barn jump schools, but I'm thinking we'll just plan to attend one or two low level events this year and next, and likely continue with the two phase events a couple of times over the winter. That will free up time and money for me to have weekly dressage lessons, and attend monthly dressage clinics.
So, next up on the calendar: A dressage show mid June.
I realized also I never did give an update on the whole Ginger breeding thing. Ginger is doing wonderfully - she even got a 4th place ribbon at the Chase Creek event! Obviously though, my coach had some big unexpected changes in her life this spring, so I suspect the last thing she's wishing for right now is more horses. There's still a chance I'll go ahead and breed her on my own next spring, but I have a sale offer and a long term lease offer both on the table as well. I'm starting to wish for another baby to bring along (crazy, I know, but training the baby 'firsts' are my favorite part of having horses.)The direction I'm currently leaning is actually to breed Bridget to Cardi next spring. They're a more similar type to each other and I think would make a super fun sport pony. Also, Bridget is turning 8 shortly, so if I'm going to breed her at some point in her life sooner would be better than later. And so, our update comes full circle...because if we owned a larger piece of land for baby to grow up on, the decision would be easier.